Gastritis is a condition in which the stomach lining is inflamed. The stomach lining contains special cells that produce acid and enzymes, which help break down food for digestion, and mucus, which protects the stomach lining from acid. When the stomach lining is inflamed, it produces less acid, enzymes, and mucus.
Types of Gastritis
Gastritis may be acute or chronic.
- Sudden, severe inflammation of the stomach lining is called acute gastritis.
- Inflammation that lasts for a long time is called chronic gastritis. If chronic gastritis is not treated, it may last for years or even a lifetime.
- Erosive gastritis is a type of gastritis that often does not cause significant inflammation but can wear away the stomach lining. Erosive gastritis can cause bleeding, erosions, or ulcers. Erosive gastritis may be acute or chronic.
Gastritis can be caused by infection, irritation, autoimmune disorders (where the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach), or backflow of bile into the stomach (bile reflux). Gastritis can also be caused by a blood disorder called pernicious anaemia.
Infections can be caused by:
- Bacteria (usually Helicobacter pylori)
- Virus (including herpes simplex virus)
A number of things can cause irritation, including:
- Long-term use of NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen
- Alcohol use
- Cigarette smoking
- Chronic vomiting
- Coffee and acidic beverages
- Too much stomach acid (such as from stress)
- Eating or drinking caustic or corrosive substances (such as poisons)
- Trauma (for example, radiation treatments or having swallowed a foreign object)
Medications that reduce the amount of acid in the stomach can relieve symptoms that may accompany gastritis and promote healing of the stomach lining.
Homeopathy medicines help for acute and chronic gastritis
For treatment please contact us
Vivekanantha Clinic Consultation Champers at
Chennai:- 9786901830 (Head office)
Pondicherry:- 9865212055 (Branch office)
Vivekanantha Clinic Health Line
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us
Consultation by Appointment only