Bed-wetting means involuntary urination in bed at night. Children generally after the age of 3-4 years gain control over the bladder, but in some children, this mechanism somehow is not strengthened and they pass urine in bed involuntarily. This phenomenon continues even up to 15-20 years of age, putting the teenagers in an embarrassing situation. Boys outnumber girls in this problem.
Causes of bed-wetting
A number of things can cause bed-wetting. Some of the more common causes of bed-wetting include the following:
- Genetic factors (it tends to run in families)
- Difficulties waking up from sleep
- Slower than normal development of the central nervous system (which reduces the child's ability to stop the bladder from emptying at night)
- Hormonal factors (not enough anti diuretic hormone is produced, which is the hormone that slows urine production at night)
- Urinary tract infections
- Abnormalities in the urethral valves in boys or in the ureter in girls or boys
- Abnormalities in the spinal cord
- A small bladder
Bed-wetting is not a mental or behaviour problem. It doesn't happen because the child is too lazy to get out of bed to go to the bathroom.
Treatments for bed-wetting
Most children outgrow bed-wetting without treatment. However, you and your doctor may decide your child needs treatment. There are 2 kinds of treatment: behaviour therapy and medicine. Behaviour therapy helps teach your child not to wet the bed.
Some behavioural treatments include the following:
- Limit fluids before bedtime.
- Have your child go to the bathroom at the beginning of the bedtime routine and then again right before going to sleep.
- Use an alarm system that rings when the bed gets wet and teaches the child to respond to bladder sensations at night.
- Create a reward system for dry nights.
- Ask your child to change the bed sheets when he or she wets.
- Bladder training: have your child practice holding his or her urine for longer and longer times during the day, in effort to stretch the bladder so it can hold more urine.
Medicines treatment for Bed Wetting
Homeopathy medicines help for bed wetting in Children’s and adults
For treatment please contact us
Vivekanantha Clinic Consultation Champers at
Chennai:- 9786901830 (Head office)
Pondicherry:- 9865212055 (Branch office)
Vivekanantha Clinic Health Line
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us
Consultation by Appointment only